An Ordinary Life


Off lately, I have been cheating on writing with painting. The last blog post was made back in the month of September 2016. Phew! A lot has happened since then!

When I wrote my last post titled ‘Label’, I was excited for the upcoming Ganesha festival, my left leg was in perfect working condition, I was still going to the gym, had my entire head covered with frizzy, curly hair and most importantly, we still had proper functioning ATMs.

Fast forward to November, I am still recuperating from my accident, taking rest from the gym post my hair transplant surgery, gradually going out of shape again as well as to pray that I find an ATM, where I would be able to withdraw some money for my sustenance in the near future.

Now, before you worry about anything, let me tell you, there is nothing to worry about. The surgery went smoothly, albeit a minor complication, the recovery even better with no additional side-effects observed. Whilst the wounds sustained due to the accident are now covered with layers of skin, the muscles around my ankle still need to loosen up. I keep telling myself ‘What does not kill you makes you stronger’ whenever pain peaks up in my lumbar spine or the heels give out after prolonged contact with the hard surface.
Oh boy! How do I miss those days when everything was normal!

A visit to the orthopedic doctor cost me around 700 rupees along with more 300 for the medicines he advised for the next ten days. This, along with the additional six thousand I spent for the post-surgery care, has burned a hole in my savings for this month. The former felt like a stab, considering how precious hard cash is these days, I was really pained to part away from those seven notes of hundred rupees in order to make payment for a 20-minute consultation. Doctors are indeed raking in the moolah, if truth be told.
On top of all this, an old enemy has made a comeback.

The back pain that I was experiencing due to my exercise strain started last week again. This pain is the reason I had to visit the doctor. I have been advised to avoid pressure on the back, sit straight as well as comeback ten days later for a follow-up. Not that I mind visiting him again (I would gladly do anything to get rid of this chronic pain) it has made me miss those days when everything was fine…

Taking 4 tablets a day has made me feel sorry for the ones who consume even more. I know it is all for my good, the problem is the whining I do because I really do miss those quiet days, when I use to work out in the gym or just focused on eating good. I am missing those days when the only pain I felt was the post-workout soreness that would come after a good pump. These bouts of pain have made me realize how foolish and ungrateful I have been to neglect my blessings of an ordinary life.

Some say being normal is overrated. There is no sense of adventure and life feels like a fatigue bag of daily routines. The stench of monotony reeks of it. But, if you think about it, is it bad to have your meals on time? Having a job that pays your bills and those tickets to the latest movie? Having a schedule that you have now adhere to, without having to do anything about it?

Yes, a monotonous life is a boring life. But, LIFE is not responsible for that. IT IS YOU. Remember, it is in your hands how you make your life interesting. I, too, could have wallowed in despair or spent my free time watching the television. However, I chose to spend it in pursuing my love for paintings. Right now, I am so passionate about paintings that it threatens to overpower my ordinary schedule as I can’t help but see colours, shapes, images all around me. I can’t wait to go home every day post my shift and think of completing my pending artwork or think of a new sketch. Sometimes when I not feel like working, I choose to listen to music while walking down a street or simply roaming in the park.

There are endless possibilities in turning an ordinary life and making it extraordinary. All we have to do is look at the bright side and see what we can do with it.

“There is a crack in everything. That is how the light comes in.”
- Leonard Cohen

Comments

Popular Posts