Sibling




For quite some time, I was struggling to come with a topic on which I could write on. To be honest, I tried writing, but then I would hit the backspace button more than I hit my wiry hair. When I finally did found something I write about, I am now stuck.

I have no idea how this particular post would end - for as the title reveals, the topic is about sibling.

Wikipedia defines sibling as one or more individuals having parents in common. I have come to realise that the meaning is even deeper than that.

Of course, it is a no-brainer; all those who are siblings, like me, will agree to that.

I have a sister, Gracy, one year younger and a brother, Thomas, two years younger to me. Our dad had revealed once that he planned to name the trio of us Tony, Sony and Rony. This didn’t work out eventually, but Rony incidentally became my brother’s pet name as we grew up.

Our lives really began after 2012 ADD (After Dad’s Death). All those years of childhood and teenage-hood, we all had developed our own sense of values, morals, guidelines, personalities and so forth.

In retrospection, when I think about it, we were thrust into adulthood much earlier in life. Not strangers to sorrows for we had witnessed the passing of our Devaki when I was just 4 and the horrific passing of our Yashodha when I was 15. We never had anyone to look up to in life. When things looked to be on the upbeat, life dealt a cruel blow: Dad unexpectedly passed away in 2012.

They often say, tough times don’t last, tough people do. I can say fairly that I am not a tough cookie. I am a coward, who doesn’t even have courage to open his mouth to voice his opinion. I indulge in self-pity and cry when bad things happen and often choose to wander off in my fantasy world, when I should be facing the situation head on. Figure this, the week when Dad passed away, I was supposed to go on vacation to Goa with my friends. As that did not happen, I spent the time dealing with the situation by reading the Harry Potter books – to escape the reality.

Dealing with payments of bills, loans and other things have sapped the strength of me. At the age of 23, I am single with almost greying hair and a face that wrinkly, people often mistake me for a 30 year old man. I spent most of my money on ‘treating’ myself and fighting against a lost cause. Damn! I hate you, Murphy!

So, in all this while, when I indulged in self-improvement, my siblings have dealt with all my laziness and filled in my shoes. They have handled the duties and toughened up to the reality beautifully.

They have shouldered the responsibilities and literally manage the house. By this, I don’t mean they handle only household chores. Apart from that, they are the support that I need in my life now.

In a world, where being selfish is the way forward, I have these two people who would never let me down. They are selfless, funny and very motivating. The major part of 2014 was spent, on me working on my book ‘Those days of our lives’ and trying my hand at painting. Although they mocked me and make fun of me, I am sure that would be more proud than anyone in the world when the book becomes a reality or if there is my exhibition.

Sometimes, they tease me by calling me ‘Daddyji’, ‘Babuji’ and other such names. I am the butt of all jokes at home. But, they never realise that I love the time I spend with them. Maybe I may die tonight or the day tomorrow, my greatest regret would not have to be present on my brother’s kid’s baptism or dancing on my sister’s wedding.

All these 23 years, life has taught me one thing: Be prepared for anything. Life is very unpredictable. Love may come and go or never at all. The only thing that matters and is important are the people who are close to you. I guess I finally realized why I cried that night, back in January 2013, under the influence of alcohol, proclaiming myself a ‘selfish’ one. Guess my heart really knows me, more than I think I know myself.

My siblings are all that I have in this life now. No friends, no lover – no one! And for that I am truly indebted to my Lord. The world may laugh at the way we live or wonder on our lifestyle, it doesn’t matter to me…

I have my siblings. I have a family.

Even as I write this, my sister is busy preparing the dinner while trying to catch the match of her favourite team and dealing with a break-up.

Comments

Popular Posts